When you were in grade school, your report card had several sections and your total grade was based on a combination of these performance scores. Similarly, no single SEO factor will ensure you a high position in the search engine hierarchy. It takes two or three factors working in tandem to get a high ranking.
Search engine optimization is not the only element that determines a webpage’s position in the search engine hierarchy. If you are marketing products or services on the Internet, you want to arrange for your website to be listed before that of your competitor. To get high traffic, it must be listed on the first page and preferably in the top half of the first page.
On-Page Search Ranking Factors
On-Page search ranking factors are those elements that are within your control, such as the kind of content you publish, HTML cues that help search engines establish relevancy, and the general structure if your site architecture.
Off-Page Search Ranking Factors
Off-Page ranking factors are those elements that you do not control yourself. Search engines use these elements because depending entirely on publisher controlled signals does not always produce a good outcome. We all want to put ourselves in the best possible light, and some users may attempt to appear more relevant than they are. To return the best pages for a particular search, more objective signals must be used.
Search engines like Yahoo and Google do want people to use SEO and get better search results. The search engine programs provide guidelines as a form of assistance, to encourage specific search engine optimization techniques. However, there are some strategies used that are intended to confuse a search engine and manipulate it into a false view of a site’s relevancy. Use of these tactics can result in your web pages being penalized or being refused service entirely.
Most Important SEO Ranking Factors
The most important SEO ranking factors are links and website signals. Links are the most important discriminator. Website signals emanate from a business’s website and are also likely to influence the ranking of the site.
Other factors deemed to be of consequence are:
- The Quality of Content: The more engaging content you have on your website, the more customers you will have and the better your chance of staying ahead of competitors. Quality content is factual and accurate, grammatically correct, and attractive to visitors. Quality content includes such additions as images, graphics, social media posts, articles, newsletters, blogs, and contests.
- Keyword Use: The use of keywords and the number of keywords used on a page seem to have an unusually heavy influence on search engine rankings. A keyword is a word that a search engine looks for in its quest for relevant web pages. Keywords and keyword phrases are relevant to the information found on the website.
- Keyword Density: Search engines keyword density to indicate the topic of a web page.
- Keyword Word Order: An exact keyword match in a page’s content will rank better than the same keyword phrase used in a different order.
- Image Optimization: Images send relevancy signals via their file name, title, alt text and caption.
- Site Updates: How frequently a website is updated is another important factor.
- Grammar and Spelling: Correct spelling and grammar is a quality signal.
- Bullets and Numbered Lists: Content with bullets and numbers makes the content easier to read. Search engines tend to favor bullet lists.
- Site Architecture: A well-built site structure helps search engines organize your content
Remember, search engine optimization is not the only element that determines a webpage’s position in the search engine hierarchy. However, no single SEO factor will ensure you a high position in the search engine hierarchy. It takes two or three factors working together to get a high ranking.
Links are the most powerful SEO ranking factor; website signals are a close second. The secret to a successful search engine optimization strategy is to use these two factors, along with quality content, images, keywords and bullet lists to help search engines find your site.
At Coronation Internet Marketing – SEO Las Vegas, we employ these factors and more to help our client’s sites and our own sites rank on the first page of Google. If you’d like your company’s website to get better exposure online by ranking better in search engines, give us a call today at (702) 710-7303.